SWITCHES ( Normally Open-Close, Latch, Momentary )
There are different types of switches and its categories like SPST, SPDT, Electronic Switch, momentary, latch action, normally open and normally closed etc.
Switch is a device used for making and breaking the connection in an electric circuit.
Diagram bulb switch:
Switches are of two type mechanical switch and electrical switch
- Mechanical switches are
- Single pole single through (SPST)
- Single pole double through (SPDT) (Toggle switch)
- Double pole single through (DPST)
- Double pole double through (DPDT)
- Push button switch
- Rotary switch etc.
- Electrical Switched are
- Bipolar junction transistor (BJT)
- Metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistor (MOSFET)
- Relay etc.
Switches are also categorize on the basis of holding current state
- Latch ( Normal ON/OFF )
- SPST – Used in our homes
- Door bell switch
Switches are also categorize by contact conditions that are
- Normally Open (NO)
- Switches in normal condition they are open (which we generally use in our daily lives) when we press the button they behaves as closed and current can flow, see in diagram shown below
- Normally Closed (NC)
- On the other hand NC, In their normal condition they will close when we press the button they behaves as open and current stops flowing due to break of connection in circuit, see in diagram shown below